Sunday, April 10, 2016

Melania Trump Does What?

I've remained silent about a particular social media post that has been making the rounds. I ignored it the first 3 or 4 times I saw it, but I cannot contain myself any longer. Below is the message I've seen several times on various social media sites:
"Melania Trump speaks five languages and has a degree in architecture and design. That sets s new high standard for first ladies, doesn't it?"
I don't know who authored this but to that person I would like to say, read a history book or if that's too complicated for you here are a few names you can look up...they're on the internet. I would also like to ask the author what was the previous high standard?  Could it have been any of these listed below?
 In no particular order:  

Laura Bush – Became a grade school teacher after graduating from Southern Methodist University then went on to earn a master's degree in library science at the University of Texas, and continued teaching.
Lady Bird Johnson – Graduated high school at fifteen. Received two degrees from the University of Texas at the age of 20, one degree in liberal arts the other in journalism.   
Pat Nixon – Graduated cum laud from the University of Southern California and became a high-school teacher.
Jackie Kennedy – As a young girl attended private schools and studied ballet. At college age she was a student at Vassar and spent a year studying in France, then eventually graduating from George Washington University.
Then of course there's Eleanor Roosevelt who practically ran the country.
  
These are some pretty high standards. I don't think Mrs. Trump has set any new high standards.
What do you think? Please leave a comment below.

                                               

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps they are speaking about the languages she speaks...I think Jacqueline Kennedy spoke French, but other than that, I know of no others who did that you mention in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Nancy, but the quote does not say that no first ladies could speak five languages. It says she sets a new high standard for first ladies.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...