Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Haus the Hero Dog and Rattlesnake Bite Survivor

Haus's first day at the vet
It was a beautiful day in Tampa, Florida while 7-year old Molly played in the backyard as her grandmother watched along with the family's 2-year old German shepherd Haus. Suddenly Haus jumped up in front of Molly and reared up several times. Although he was bitten several times by a venomous Eastern diamondback rattlesnake he never backed down, protecting Molly from the rattler. At the time the grandmother didn't know what happened but Haus was bleeding so he was taken to the vet immediately. There it was discovered Haus had suffered three poisonous rattlesnake bites.
Haus's bloodstream was filled with venom, his kidney's were damaged and there was blood in his urine. He needed such a large amount of anti-venom that the vet put Haus on an IV drip rather than injections.
A friend of the family started a GoFundMe page to help with the veterinary costs which in just two days amounted to $10,000. In that same amount of time, the GoFundMe page raised $48,000. The donation page is shut down now because the family said that's more money than they need for Haus's medication and treatment.
Almost a week has passed and Haus is expected to make a full recovery, it'll take time though and he is still at the vet. You can follow Haus on his Facebook page Haus the Hero Dog for updates on his current condition.

Haus the Hero Dog on Facebook 

 

Almost a week later, still at the vet




2 comments:

  1. Dog is mans best friend and this dog is a hero. I am glad that he made a full recovery. I hope the family gets rid of snakes their yard / community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Molly and Haus were lucky not to be killed by the rattlesnake!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...